Thursday, December 3, 2009

Book Log: November 2009

1. Ted Kluck. The Reason for Sports. 256 pages. Moody Press. I like sports. I like Kevin DeYoung (whom Kluck has co-authored two books with). So, I read this book. And I'm still not sure if I liked it. The book really isn't a theology of sports as much as it is a collection of sports/Christian articles. Some of Kluck's thoughts were refreshing, and at times, Kluck had good insights, but the book overall lacked final conclusions.

2. Robert Gundry.
Jesus the Word According to John the Sectarian. 156 pages. Eerdmans Press. Some of the book was a little over my head, but Gundry had some very practical (and profound) thoughts on what it means to "be in the world but not of the world."

3. Mark Allen Powell. Introduction to the Gospels. 160 pages. Fortress Press. This book was a little bit more left-of-center than I am, but Powell sees some really good themes that run through each gospel book. Good to skim through before studying one of the gospels.

4. Aubrey Malphurs and Keith Willhite. A Contemporary Handbook for Weddings and Funerals. 368 pages. Kregel Press. The book contains dozens of weddings messages and funeral messages. Its a helpful resource for getting some ideas for message preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment